Banner

Sunday 7 October 2018

Do you remember that photo we took?


Image may contain: one or more people
Do you remember that photo we took?
The one where we sat on the stairs?
There was you Dad, and mum, and the three of us girls, 
Image may contain: one or more peopleNo automatic alt text available.dancing and putting on airs.



I think I was twelve or maybe thirteen,
and my dress sense was truly awful
No automatic alt text available.I'm not sure that torn jeans and bright yellow wellies
have even been sane or lawful.



Image may contain: 3 peopleYou were in the middle, smiling and happy,
Mum looked tired but managed a smile
the three of us girls just for a change
did as bid and came together a while.



Was there an occasion or special purpose?  
Or did you just want time to freeze?
We were all growing fast and doing our thing,
No automatic alt text available.to get us together and make us say cheese.



No automatic alt text available.I'm glad you did it anyway,
I look back at pictures taken by you.
You managed to get the three girls together 
and capture us as we grew.
Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

No automatic alt text available.Three little girls at a birthday party, 
three little girls on a train.
Three little girls on a holiday,
or standing out in the rain.

Three teenage girls looking mawkish,
No automatic alt text available.three teenage girls in the sun.
Three teenage girls at a wedding,
smiling and having fun.

Now its three grown women and their children,
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, ocean, sky, outdoor and natureyou capture at least once a year,
Getting together at a party
Those moments are never drear.

Do you remember that photo we took?
The one we sat on the stairs?
I'm glad you made us sit there,
your three little girls on the stairs.

Image may contain: 10 people, people smilingNo automatic alt text available.
Image may contain: 6 people
No automatic alt text available.Image may contain: one or more peopleImage may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people standingImage may contain: 3 peopleImage may contain: 13 peopleImage may contain: 3 peopleImage may contain: one or more people, people standing, child and indoor
I wrote this poem in about 15 minutes at our latest meeting of Hereford Writers' Circle.  I find rhyming poetry challenging and usually avoid it, but I thought I'd give it a go.  I'm not entirely satisfied, particularly with the rhythm, but I did like the sentiment, so I thought I'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment