Banner

Sunday 1 June 2014

The Power of Song

I realised a couple of months ago that I don't sing anymore.

All through school and as a Primary School Teacher (until about five years ago) I have either been in a school choir or been running one.  I always had music on - something I could sing to, either on the radio or CD.  If I'm honest I think the singing is what kept me a church-goer for so long!  And yes, I love karaoke, and up until I moved from North Yorkshire nearly eight years ago, would be found at least once most weeks singing karaoke.

I've gradually lost my voice.  It started in 2006 when I moved house (and in with Hubby) and didn't go out to karaoke anymore.  At the same time I moved from a full-time teaching job, so no longer ran the school choir.  I still had music around the house, and sang all the time, but somehow that got lost when I had C - I didn't have the music on when he was asleep, because I wanted to be able to hear when he woke up.  I listened to the radio, but usually mostly talking.

A couple of months ago I decided to put the music back on.  I found a radio station that has music that I like, know and can sing to, and have it on around the house and in the car, and I really do sing (loudly!).  It's made an unexpected difference to my life.  My mood really does feel lifted when I've been singing.  I'm actually a happier person to be around!  I have to confess though, that over the years my voice has got out of practice and I'm a little croaky and not always in tune, but hopefully that'll come back.  Who knows - maybe I'll even find a choir again?

5 comments:

  1. I can't sing for toffee but do absolutely love it, too. My favourite was prepping my iPod for a long car journey and just belting out down the motorway... Circle of Life from Lion King is a good one for that :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! It makes such a difference to the way I feel. I LOVE a good sing in the car. Bug sometimes tries to join in if it's an easy repetitive one. Sometimes they tell me it's too loud! It's also a great way to drown them out when they're arguing... ;)

      Delete
  2. Glad to read that you have found your voice again...I think singing, for those that can, is an important channel for releasing energy and as you say, lifting one's mood. I feel good after I have been singing, but strangely everyone else says it's wonderful when I stop :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's mean of them! I hope you treat that as in invitation for an encore and give them another rousing chorus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The information you have very true and useful, thank you have shared this post. Top Digital Marketing Agencies For Astrologers

    ReplyDelete