Banner

Monday 17 October 2011

Film Review - Jane Eyre

I went to the cinema on Saturday night for the first time since Little C was born 27 months ago.  I wanted to see Jane Eyre and as it isn't the sort of film that hubby would enjoy decided to ask a couple of friends to join me.  I was very excited to be going out - felt like a real grown up again!

While the experience of going to the cinema was rewarding and enjoyable, I have to say the film was disappointing.  It was directed by Cary Fukanaga and starred Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender.

I had no love for the main characters and therefore didn't care what happened to them.  I'm a girl who cries at everything, but this didn't move a single tear - I just hadn't got to know the characters enough to empathise.  I didn't like the way that they kept flicking back and forth between parts of the story, I found it distracting and annoying.  I didn't like the way they filmed walking bits as though the cameraman was also walking, it made me feel sea-sick.  As you can tell I wasn't very impressed.

My disappointment was made worse by the fact that Jane Eyre is my favourite book (I'll tell you more about why in another post in the future).  I do love the BBC television adaptation from 2006, which is directed by Susanna White and stars Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens (bizarrely I think Michael Fassbender and Toby Stephens have the same voice, was this deliberate?)


I'm no film connoisseur, I just know what I enjoy and what I like.  For film reviews and other bits and pieces from somebody who knows what they're talking about, check out "Film Tinted Glasses", my lovely niece's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment