Banner

Thursday 25 April 2013

The Aspiring Writer

I like to think of myself as a writer.  In that, well, I like to write.  I think I'm not too bad.  Ideally I'd like to write for a living.  


It's the "ideally" that's holding me up at the moment.  I don't write enough.  Actually, I do write an awful lot, but none of it is what I would describe yet as publishable quality, or, in many cases, finished.  I have a head full of ideas.  I have folders full of projects begun.  I've sent a few articles off to editors, but none have been published.  

I know I can do it, because in the past I have been paid for my writing.  I used to write a lot for Scouting Magazine (and they paid me), and I've written programme resources, a book of games, and re-written a large manual on policies of Voluntary Youth Organisations.  The problem is that these things dried up when I had my babies, and now I want them to reappear.  I want to get back to writing for money, to commissions and deadlines.  

I know that to do this I have to "get out there".  I have to make time to write properly, I have to make myself finish some of my projects and make myself send them off.  I have to network and make people know that I am a writer and I am available (desperate) to work.

So now it's over to me, and I'll be posting on here to let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment