Banner

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Jubilee Weekend

It's possible that I could be accused of being a little hypocritical here... I don't really see what place a hereditary monarchy has in a democratic society... but at the same time, I don't have anything against this particular Queen, she's never done anything to offend me... so I'm more than happy to stand for the National Anthem, to make the Scout Promise ("I promise that I will do my best, to do my duty to God and to the Queen, to help other people and to keep the Scout Law") and to use the opportunity presented by our Queen's Diamond Jubilee to get involved in the local community and try to promote further community cohesion.  
Portrait of The Queen, taken in 2002 © John Swannell/Camera Press
The Queen's Diamond Jubilee weekend is the first weekend in June, and the whole of the UK gets two Bank Holidays!  Whoop Whoop!


She ascended to the throne on 6th February 1952 and the coronation took place on the 2nd June 1953.  The Diamond Jubilee celebrates 60 years.  She's only the second British monarch to celebrate sixty years on the throne, the first being Queen Victoria.
Jubilees and other milestones
I'm on the "steering group" in our village.  We're going to have a party - outdoors (fingers crossed for sunshine please).  We were thinking about a street party, but plumped for the village play-park.  There's plenty of space for a couple of Mess Tents, one for food and one for shelter etc.  We haven't decided yet whether seating will be at tables and chairs or "bring a blanket", though we'd provide chairs for the elderly.  Play equipment is right there; we'd get a live band, budget permitting; lots of bunting; fancy dress competition for the children; everybody bring a plate/platter of food to share; 

I can't wait!  My initial job is to source the mess tents and canvas support up one of the streets in the village (plus, since the street I'm doing is closest to the play-park, negotiate a power cable!).  I also think I might write to a couple of local businesses to see if we can drum up some sponsorship, but have to run that past the rest of the group first.

No comments:

Post a Comment