Banner

Friday 7 January 2011

My latest list

I'm a list maker.  Some people write lists and then write lists of lists, and never do anything with them.  Some people don't understand list writing.  Some people relish lists, tables and spreadsheets.  They make them feel just a little bit of control over this crazy chaotic thing that we call life.  I'm one of the latter.


Just lately it's been getting me down a little bit that I don't contribute anything financially to the household.  Don't get me wrong.  I adore being a full time mum. But when Big C is reluctantly dragging himself out to work with a heavy heart each morning, I kind of wish that I could do more to lighten his load.  Looking after a toddler full time though, and being 7 months pregnant with number two (and finding it heavy going at the moment), as well as all the shopping, housework, laundry and cooking, don't leave much time or energy for consistent efforts at money making.



Big C booked our summer holiday the other day.  I decided that I should try to do something every day that might, just might, make some money.  I might enter a competition, send off a magazine article to an editor, or de-clutter and sell stuff on e-bay. 


I made a table.  It has a row for each day of the months between now and May.  There are columns to record what initiative I have taken, what the result is, and the total money I have accrued by my efforts.  I think I'm unlikely to be able to manage it, but wouldn't it be great if I could pay for the holiday?


So far I've only managed one day - I sold some stuff on e-bay.  I've found life a struggle for the last couple of days and haven't managed anything, but today I plan to register my old phone on Mazumamobile.com and get some money from that.


They say it takes a month of repetitive action and effort to build a habit - I'll let you know how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment