I finally finished the fence which has been causing me a problem for some time now.
I spent an hour several weeks ago:
- carefully chopping the heads off matches,
- cutting the matches in half
- painting the matches with brown watercolour paint
Now it was time to work out how to make the fence wire. First I glued the fence posts on to the scenery. This was quite successful. Then I tried to glue the wire (plastic thread for bead work) on to the posts. This wasn't successful. In order to hold it in place to allow it to dry I pegged the wire in place on each post. The washing pegs were too heavy, so pulled many of the fence posts over. In addition, when I pulled off the pegs it turned out that the wire was more stuck to the pegs than it was to the fence posts, so the whole thing fell to bits.
This time I've done it mostly the other way around. I pulled the wires tight between some books, and carefully placed glue covered fence posts into place. When this was dry this was the main portion of fence done. Now I had a problem though, this fence section was too short for the area it needed to surround, but now there wasn't enough wire at the end for me to hold in place taut. I stuck the fence on to the scenery, then I stuck further fence posts in place at both ends. I haven't actually finished the fence in the strictest sense, because I'm still carefully gluing the wires on to these extra posts, wrapping around both sides of fence posts (instead of neatly on the inside) but just trying to get the wires fixed to the posts.
I've now ordered some sheep for C. Up until now we haven't been able to order any sheep because without a fence in place they'd be wandering all over the train track, but now that the fence is there, we feel confident to put some sheep on the scenery. Another picture with sheep in situ to follow in a couple of weeks. I've also made a pretty good start on the Village School from Metcalfe Models.