Banner

Saturday 23 January 2021

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

 

Anybody here like cake?

Hands up?

Yes, me too. And this particular cake is a bit of a sweet-toothed 80s bright coloured throwback, to a time when exotic fruit in a tin was the highlight of the week.

Making this seems a long time ago now, as it's two weeks since I last ate. 

(Not strictly true, but I am sticking to the diet pretty well and cake is not currently happening).

This cake is the perfect comfort food for a winter's evening.  Enjoy with custard.

Ingredients

butter (melted)                   100g
brown sugar                       1/2 cup
pineapple rings (drained)     440g can
Pineapple juice                    2tbsp
Cream cheese                    125g
butter (softened)                150g
caster sugar                        1 cup
rind and juice of 1 orange
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
self-raising flour                    1 cup

Method

  1. Preheat over to 180 degrees Celsius.
  2. Tip the melted butter into a 24cm round cake tin, brushing it up the sides to grease. (If you're using a loose bottomed tin, like me, be aware that it will ooze out in cooking).
  3. Sprinkle brown sugar over the butter and then arrange the pineapple rings over the base of the tin.  I popped glace cherries in the centre of each one for a really vivid pop of colour.
  4. Mix the cream cheese, butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  
  5. Add the orange rind and juice, 2 tbsp of pineapple juice, eggs and flour.  Mix well until smooth.
  6. Spoon the mix into the prepared tin over the pineapples.
  7. Put the cake into the oven for 40-50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
  8. Leave to cool for 10 minutes and then turn out carefully onto a wire cooling rack.
This is one of my creative endeavours this month in my year of creativity.  Considering I had five creative things to do this month I've made a remarkably slow start. 

The crochet is going well, but I'm not sure if I'll finish this month.  I have at least bought the bottles I need to make the wine. I haven't even begun to think about the cushion covers or the macrame and the stuff to make the little dolls is just sitting there waiting for some attention! 

On the other hand, I have been running two Beaver meetings and two Cub meetings via Zoom, I have a lot of Phonics videos on my YouTube channel, and the children are getting on well with their home learning. There's certainly been some creativity going on in the house, even if it hasn't all been mine.
Endangered animals masks made with Beaver Scouts
I really don't know the purpose of the cardboard fort or the Harry Potter x Victorian costume - sometimes it's best not to ask.


Charlie's tin can tealight candle holders that he made with Scouts.

Charlie's pelican, penguin, cat mash-up that he did for an Art lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment