Banner

Sunday 14 July 2019

Mel's Murals


Murals are great.  They are individual.  They are fun.  They are art right there on your wall.

We are planning to have murals all over our house (not planning to move or sell in the near future!) to reflect our personalities and interests.  However, these things take time, and while the bedroom walls were painted last autumn, the murals for the children's bedrooms have taken a while to happen.

Mister Build-it wanted: a lifeboat, puffer-fish playing musical instruments and a frog on a lily-pad.  

To begin with I drew the life-boat in chalk:
After a while... I painted the top orange.  It was like that for a few weeks and he told me it looked like a hover-bus.
This weekend, my sister-in-law took Mr Build-it to the Grand Prix at Silverstone as a birthday treat (wow!).  This was my opportunity and my deadline to get the rest of the job done.  So I searched on Pinterest for some inspiration and then sketched what I thought the Pufferfish orchestra might look like:
I added it to the wall beneath the lifeboat.  In another corner of the bedroom I drew the frog on his lily pad.
Then I started painting...

Let it dry, do some other jobs (including starting to tidy and reorganise the bedroom).  Then came back and painted a bit more...
You'll notice the grey smudgy bit in the sky.  I'd tried to make the clouds a bit greyer, but they began to look like a horrific storm, I tried to rescue the situation but made it worse.  So I had to paint over that bit with one coat of the blue emulsion.  That's one of the joys of a mural.  If you make a mistake it's only cost you a bit of paint and some time, and you can just paint over and start again.
And then got in there with a fine paint brush to put the details in.  I know smugitude is not a good thing, but I am SO PROUD of myself!  Don't you just love it when the thing you have in your head actually turns out just as you hoped?! (That never happens when I'm baking or decorating cakes!)



If you're interested, we just used normal matt emulsion for the walls (no idea of brand or colour), then these are normal kids poster paints.




Want to see what I get up to when I finally get around to the other rooms in the house?

No comments:

Post a Comment